Pages: « 1 |  2  |  Next »

jFant
Fants in Kilmallock
Date: Mar 3, 2009 1:11:26 PM PST
Author: jFant

Hi there,Just wondering is there any of the Fant family living in or around Kilmallock now. Great site by the way!.

John
Fants in Kilmallock
Date: Mar 3, 2009 1:43:15 PM PST
Author: John

How it going,The Fant name is not too common around Kilmallock now. I think most of the descendents of the family are in the USA now. There are some Fants around north county Cork and in Tipperary. Glad you found the site informative. Feel free to add any information you have through the forum.(especially on the William Fant who went to America in the 1700's

Steve
New to message board Stephen Fant, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Date: Feb 6, 2010 12:02:53 PM PST
Author: Steve

Hello to all Fants in Ireland! Glad to know that there are remaining Fants in Fantstown Co. Limerick. I have read for many years that the Fant name goes in many directions; France, Ireland, etc. Is it common knowledge that Pierre Charles L'EnFant was some relation to the name Fant?He was the chief desinger of Washington, DC. Just curious as to whom may know more. My father's name goes to no known direction prior to about early 1800's. Perhaps a geneologist using his name Elmer Benjamin Fant could help. Thanks, sincerely Stephen Holton Fant
Last modified by Steve on Feb 6 2010 12:04PM

John

Date: Feb 11, 2010 11:51:28 AM PST
Author: John

Hi steve, Walter l'Enfant to the best of my knowledge was born in France and travelled to the USA in the 1700s. The name Fant does seem to have derived from "l'Enfant". However the Fants in Ireland were here since the 12th century so i doubt there is any real link to Charles L'Enfant. If your line of Fants emigrated to the USA from France then maybe so. I'm not a geneologist so maybe someone else on the site may be able to help you. Best of luck.
John
Last modified by John on Feb 11 2010 11:53AM

bruce
New to message board Stephen Fant, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Date: Jul 20, 2010 10:29:23 AM PDT
Author: bruce

Originally Posted by Steve:
Hello to all Fants in Ireland! Glad to know that there are remaining Fants in Fantstown Co. Limerick. I have read for many years that the Fant name goes in many directions; France, Ireland, etc. Is it common knowledge that Pierre Charles L'EnFant was some relation to the name Fant?He was the chief desinger of Washington, DC. Just curious as to whom may know more. My father's name goes to no known direction prior to about early 1800's. Perhaps a geneologist using his name Elmer Benjamin Fant could help. Thanks, sincerely Stephen Holton Fant

bruce
Response to Stephen Fant in Jacksonville Florida
Date: Jul 20, 2010 12:06:54 PM PDT

Hi Steve. My name is Bruce Fant. My father wrote "Fant Genealogy". Here's your paternal genealogy:
1. Elmer Benjamin Fant
2. Percy Barney Fant-b. 1898; grandfather
3. Roseborough Benjamin Fant-b.1881; great-grandfather
4. Dr. Elijah Major Fant-b. 1830s/1840s; great-great-grandfather; Civil War veteran; moved from S.C. to Goliad, Tx 1852; enlisted Confed. Army, pvt., Texas Militia, Aug. 1861.
5. Valentine D. Fant (1800-1855)S.Car.; had 9 sons; great-great-great-grandfather. Valentine Fant was grandfather of Dillard Fant, who helped start the Chishom Trail in Texas, and is credited with driving the largest herd of cattle on record along the trail to Kan, Neb,and Wyo, hiring 200 cowboys requiring 1,200 saddle horses to drive 42,000 head of cattle in 1884. John Wayne mentions him in his movie "The Cowboys".
6. Reverend Abner Fant(1776-1854) S.Car.; had 9 sons; great-great-great-great-grandfather.
7. Samuel Fant(1741-1821) had 8 sons; moved from Stafford Co., Vir. to S.Car. 1792; great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, and the common linking ancestor between you and me, making us 6th cousins. His brother, George Fant (1745-1839, Va.) was Am. Rev. War veteran, enlisted 8th Va. Regiment, pvt.,1777-80, Battles of Mud Island and Fort Monmouth, N.J.
8. William Fant--registered as living in Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., Va. during the years 1723-1758. Married to Catherine Stewart; had 6 sons born between 1738-49. William Fant appears to be the first Fant to arrive in America.

The Fants in Vir. and Carolina were Scotch-Irish, and had come from N. Ireland with the Scotch-Irish migration of the early 1700s. "Scotch-Irish" refers to Irish Presbyterians and other Irish Protestants from Ulster who intermarried with Scottish settlers during the Plantation of Ireland--the forced colonization of Protestants among Catholics by James I in 1609 to prevent rebellion in Ulster. From 1717-1775, Scotch-Irish from Ulster comprised the most numerous group of immigrants from the British Isles to the American colonies. An estimated 200,000 left northern Ireland, settling first mostly in Pa. and Va., then moving southwest into the unsettled backcountry of upland territories and the Appalachian Mountains. During the American Revolution, a Hessian officer said, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scotch Irish Presbyterian rebellion." A British major general testified to the House of Commons that "half the rebel Continental Army were from Ireland". People in Britain or Ireland of a similar ancestry refer to themselves as "Ulster Scots"-- the term "Scotch-Irish" used only in North America. Although the Scotch-Irish in America were simply called "Irish" at first, without the "Scotch" qualifier, the "Scotch" was added later to distinguish them from the Irish Catholic immigrants of the 1840s.

The Fants came to Ireland sometime between 1169 and 1200, with the Cambro/Norman Invasion of Ireland by the forces of Strongbow (Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke) and other Welsh-Normans who had colonized Wales after the Norman Conquest of 1066.

Before that, the Normans had been Danish Vikings who had conquered the Seine Valley in France, becoming overlords of Normandy in 911, marrying the locals, and becoming french-speaking "French Normans" in the process. The L'Enfant variation of our name possibly originated here. "L'Enfant" means "the male child" or "the male heir". The Normans obsessed over male heirs because of the feudal law of primogeniture--the exclusive right of inheritance belonging to the eldest son. If you died without a son, the family ancestral property went to your brother, or to his eldest son, or if none, to the eldest male among cousins, etc. By this means, ancestral family property stayed in one piece throughout the generations without subdivision, keeping the property in the family name for hundreds of years.
Last modified by bruce on Sep 6 2010 10:40AM

Attachment:
2cc80c17cd18f30423c69e42290c58b7.jpg
   View
Description:
Fant Family Crest

kathlingram

Date: Oct 17, 2010 11:02:33 AM PDT
Author: kathlingram

Hi Bruce
I know a George Font/Faint is in Accomac Virginia by August 1671 and is transported by Devoreaux Browne a son-in-law of Edmund Scarborough.

Some say he is father to William and dies in 1730 although I have not seen any evidence of that. William does name a son George and since it is NOT his first son George may have been an uncle or cousin.My best guess is that William Fant comes to Virginia as a child and is raised in another man's home.

Additionally the Maloneys from the Castle have some records indicating that William Fant was from near Kilmallock when he immigrates to Virginia.If some other document exists about Scots/Irish I would love to see it.An Irish researcher from Irish Archives I used had no such information.

My grandfather Edward ( born Edmund) Faunt and his brothers inccluding Walter, William and Michael are sons of Patrick Faunt son of William Fant of Fethard Tipperary.Patrick Faunt is born in Limerick in 1865 to William Fant a hereditary nailer from Fethard Tipperary.
Patrick's great grandmother, in addition,was Mary Maloney Slattery a relative surely of those in the Castle.
Mary Slattery's daughter Bridget Slattery Cunningham has a daughter Honorah "Nora" Cunningham who marries William Fant near Fethard in Killenaule Feb 1835.Mary Maloney was born in Bruff Limerick c. 1763. This is about when the Maloneys currently in possesion of the Castle begin to farm there.
This family has their religious homebase at churches in Mitchelstown Cork, again just a hop from Fantstown Castle.
Since my family who are proven to be in walled Norman towns like Fethard and Kilmallock for 600 years and the Fant in Virginia have a proven Y DNA Male line I think those families were mostly from here on the Limerick/Tipperary border.
Sir Walter L'enfant first Justiciar of Ireland had owned property in Fethard in the 1300s.
Although many of the men who emigrate to Accomac VA in that time are English, just as many were not.

My own ancestor on my Dad's side John Carrow who is Constable in Accomac in 1667 was not although he was from the North of Ireland.
Additionally I have transcribed and published 3 books on Colonial Virginia court records and believe the Scots-Irish migration did not start in the time frame I find George Faint emigrate.
Do you have any ship records? Would love to see them.
Thanks much
Kathleen Carrow Ingram
Last modified by kathlingram on Oct 17 2010 11:04AM

bruce
Response to Kathleen Ingram
Date: Oct 25, 2010 3:13:15 PM PDT

Hi Kathleen. Nice to meet you. I don’t have ship records. My father researched our family and believed we were Scotch-Irish. He passed away in 1997. I’m sure your research is more thorough and correct.

I had not heard that about George Faint/Font who arrived in Virginia in 1671 and died in 1730. That’s exciting. Those dates would mean that he lived in Virginia for 60 years, and was in his 50s or older, before William Fant of Stafford County, Virginia shows up on the record in 1723. Father ? Grandfather? I would love to hear more speculations on his history.

I guess the most obvious link in the chain of the Fant Scotch-Irish heritage in America, is the marriage of the Norman-Irish name of “William Fant” to the Scottish name “Catherine Stewart”. Both are listed in The Register of Overwharton Parish, Stafford County, Virginia 1723-1758. At least their children, six sons born between 1738 and 1749, and their many descendants in America were Scotch-Irish. The Stewart Scottish clan produced 300 years of Scottish kings. The Queen of England today is descended from the Stuart/Stewart dynasty….so in a way, all the descendants of William Fant and Catherine Stewart of Virginia are distantly related to Queen Elizabeth II through James Stuart (King James I of England, a.k.a. King James VI of Scotland).

Also, according to family tradition, many of the early colonial Fants were evangelical Baptists. The Scotch-Irish Presbyterians and Dissenters--which included Baptists--had been persecuted by the Anglicans in Ireland, and sought freedom of religion in America. Several early Fants from different branches of the family were Baptist preachers in early 1800s--as are many today. Many Fants in America have a common evangelical Baptist heritage in their family history. Interesting to note that there were many Fants in Ireland who were Catholic priests. What religious heritage do Fants in Ireland today come from?

With your 1671 date for the arrival of George Faint/Font, that would indeed predate the Scotch-Irish migrations that began 1717. Would that have made him an Anglican (Church of Ireland)? I believe only members of the established Anglican Church would’ve been permitted to immigrate to Virginia in 1671? The Scotch-Irish Presbyterian/Baptists arrived in Quaker/Protestant Pennsylvania and Delaware beginning 1717, and had migrated southerly along the Appalachian Range to enter Virginia from the west to develop their own settlements by 1720s/30s--thereby avoiding the more-developed, but less friendly, anti-Protestant Anglican settlements on the coast. Possibly this is where Catherine Stewart’s family came in?

William Fant met the Scottish Catherine Stewart somewhere along the way, and they settled in Overwharton Parish, Stafford County, Virginia. Their Baptist descendants migrated further south along the Appalachian Range to South Carolina, always looking for new land for elbow room, and then cut across the mountains and went out west to the interior of the Southern colonies -- Carolinas, Georgia, Tenn., Ky., Fla., Alabama, La., Ms., Tex.,--which is the exact same migration pattern as the general Scotch-Irish migration in the U.S. during those years.

I'd love to hear any musings you have. Thanks.
Last modified by bruce on Oct 25 2010 3:28PM

kathlingram
Fants
Date: Oct 31, 2010 3:59:06 PM PDT
Author: kathlingram

Hi Bruce
The things I know for a fact are that most Fants in Ireland lived in the area near to the Limerick,Tipperary,Cork border where they originally came via the Normans. In later years 1450-1800 some were in Galway and some in Westmeath and down to Cork but that line ended up in Cork in the 1800s also.
None to my knowledge were from the North where Scots/Irish moved back and forth except very occasionally. My own William Fant went to Belfast to live when he retired from the British Army in1 1867.From there he immigrated to NJ but his birthplace was Fethard Tipperary.
The Church records in Overwharton Parish were Anglican but what you must remember is that that WAS the established church and that was where they had to attend or be fined or worse.
It does not indicate any religious inclinations.
The Irish Fants and Faunts were mostly Catholic.Church records are from Dioscesan records and I have a lot,100 or more.
It is incorrect that Catholics could not/did not come to the colonies before a certain time. They just could not worship as they chose and were not in the majority.

George Faint may or may not have lived until 1730. A researcher who has done work for me who has authored most of the Maryland Prerogative records told me
that he may have been very young. Ages of transportees are not known.

Also there is no clear indication of who George was but since William names a son George he is surely related.

The Maloneys at Fantstown Castle and other Irish researchers indicate William is of the Kilmallock line.

Archbishop Patrick Fant 1767-1847 is connected to my line. He is also connected to Gwen Fant Burgett who was the last of that line in the Castle at Fantstown as a Chalice from Fantstown castle was at Archbishop Fant's church in Drumm near Templemore. His mother was a Butler and niece of Archbishop Butler again of near Fethard Tipperary.

And I know we have 9 men who have tested their male "y" DNA and 7 of them match each other, indicating they are one family. That haplotype is NOT Scots NOR is in Native Irish. It MAY be Norman in a convoluted type of way as it is called "Sardinian" and may be from the South of Aquitaine hence a link to the Angevins. That is speculation but the Y DNA of course is not.
Any and all males who would like to test their Y DNA should check out the group at Family Tree DNA.
We know so much more today and so many records are accessable. Irish records may be purchased online etc.
Kathleen

BAFANT
Response to Stephen Fant in Jacksonville Florida
Date: Feb 4, 2011 8:35:04 PM PST
Author: BAFANT

Steve,
I wonder if you know how to contact Bruce Fant? His father spoke to my dads sister Mary Louise Fant Carlson of Vicksberg, MS prior to writing his book. Aunt Mary Louise passed last year and the "Fant Genealogy" book she wanted to give me can't be located. I'd like to purchase my own copy, if it's possible.
Thanks,
Barbara Fant
bafant@socal.rr.com

Last modified by BAFANT on Feb 4 2011 8:36PM

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Forum Tags

There are no tags at this time.