Pages: « 1 »

JesseFant
fant related to l'enfant?
Date: Jul 6, 2012 3:04:43 PM PDT
Author: JesseFant

Am trying to figure out if what we have been told is fact or fiction. Are we related to the architect? My grandmother was Jesse Mears Fant. I only know that her father was an educator who was in Fort Hall, Idaho when she was born. Any help trying to find out about her (and subsequently me!) would be so much appreciated.

Thanks! I do think there was a connection to Virginia somewhere way back when.

bruce
hi jesse fant
Date: Oct 19, 2012 10:20:15 PM PDT
Author: bruce

Hi Jesse. Unable to locate your grandmother under the full name you give of Jesse Mears Fant, in the Fant Geneology (The Green Book).

However, there is a Joseph Nicholas Fant (b.3-3-1852 in Virginia; d. 11-24-1892 in Ogden Utah) who married a Mariana Mears, and they had four children, one of whom was a daughter named Jessie Fant (could this be your grandmother?) It would be helpful to know your mother and father's names to confirm this. If this was your grandmother, then your great-grandfather, Joseph Nicholas Fant, was a 12-year old during the height of the Civil War, and the Geneology Book tells a humorous story of how he and his two younger brothers (aged 10 and 8) were captured by Union forces along the Rappahannock River in Virginia. They were apparently sailing their toy boats along the river using brightly colored dotted red, white and blue sails made out of bandana handkerchiefs, which they had purloined from their favorite 'mammy's' cabin. The Union forces apprehended them for 'making signs to the enemy', and took them to their commanders camp some miles away. After a desolate night in custody, they were released by the kindly officer in charge and returned to their home. Upon return to home, their mammy scolded them: "That's just what you gits for meddling with what don't belongs to you. Ain't I done tole you about dis befoh?"

My email is brucefant@aol.com, if you'd like further information, including your great-great grandfather, and beyond.
Last modified by bruce on Oct 7 2013 4:49PM

StarFant
Black Fants
Date: Feb 13, 2013 6:25:11 PM PST
Author: StarFant

I've been looking up the connected of
blacks and the surname fant its been in my
family for at least four generations and I
dont know where it came into the black
community and there is a rare black family
with Fant as the name and I keep seeing
alot of white families with the name from
Ireland, Italy etc. I was wondering if
there was admixture because I know there
was black historical evidence in those
places im from the south in USA snd found
documents of whites owning black slaves
and the owners were fants not really sure
if thats connected with my family thanks
for any answers

bruce
Hi Star Fant
Date: Feb 16, 2013 4:41:15 PM PST

Hi Star Fant

There are indeed many black Fants in the United States today. For the most part, it appears that the surname ‘Fant’ came into the black community during and after the American Civil War, 1861-1865.

According to the the records of the National Archives in Washington D.C., with the outbreak and throughout the duration of the Civil War, at least 82 Fants enlisted in the Confederate Army, and 12 Fants enlisted in the Union Army. Of those 12 who enlisted in the Union army, at least seven were Missouri and Kentucky slaves, of whom we have detailed military records, and who officially took the last name ‘Fant’, possibly with the consent of their Border State owners, when they enlisted in the United States Colored Infantry.

One white owner of three of these slaves who joined the Union Army Colored Troops, was William Slaughter Fant of Kentucky, who can be traced back to the first William Fant in America who lived in Virginia in the 1720s, and possibly even earlier to George Fant who immigrated to Virginia from Ireland in 1660s.

Private George Fant, age 48 at time of enlistment on April 6, 1865 (U.S. Colored Troops) was born into slavery in Warren Co., Kentucky, and was recently owned by William Fant of Kentucky; as was a Private George Fant, age 21 at time of enlistment on July 5, 1864, (U.S. Colored Troops) born in Fleming County, Kentucky. Another slave of William Fant of Kentucky was Private Jackson Fant (Private, U.S. Colored Troops), 30 years old at time of enlistment at Louisville, Ky., April 30, 1864.

Another white owner, descendant of the first William Fant of Virginia, was A.B. Fant of Missouri, who joined the Confederate Army, while his slave, Jacob Fant, joined the U.S. Colored Troops. Born into slavery in Halifax Co., Virginia, Jacob was taken into Missouri. Enlisting at Fulton, Missouri on April 5, 1864, as Private Jacob Fant, the 30-year old farmer became chronically sick with disease contracted in the line of duty, and was given a total disability discharge on June 24, 1865 at New Orleans, Lousiana. A.B. Fant, the former owner of Jacob, on Nov. 28, 1866 filed with the U.S. Government a “Claim of Compensation for Enlisted Slave”, along with a bill of sale showing he had bought Jacob on Jan. 1st, 1858, for $1000,(equal to about $28,000 in 2012 dollars) and included an “Affidavit of Ownership and Loyalty to the United States”. It is not shown whether A.B. Fant was able to realize any compensation. (Compiled Service Record of Pvt. Jacob Fant)

Most of the Fants who enlisted in the Confederate Army came from families who also can be traced back to Virginia and the William Fant of the 1720s. Many of these southern Fants owned slaves, and with the Emancipation Proclamation and the passage of the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery, these slaves became free men, many of whom took the names of their former masters. Thus there are many black Fants today throughout the Deep South, stretching from Texas to Virginia and the Carolinas, with many black Fants concentrated in Alabama, Lousiana, Mississippi and Georgia.

I don’t find your name, Star Fant, listed in the genealogy book compiled back in 1975, but perhaps your parents‘, or grandparents’ names are listed. My father, A.E. Fant, corresponded and visited with many black Fant families throughout the South during his research for his genealogy book. They are included in the genealogy book, and can trace their Fant heritage back to the Civil War. Feel free to contact me at brucefant@aol.com for any questions.
Last modified by bruce on Feb 18 2013 7:34AM

fant
James Fant
Date: Sep 26, 2013 10:43:03 AM PDT
Author: fant

Father name james fant,his father and mother Kelly & Mandy

bruce
James Fant
Date: Nov 7, 2013 7:03:24 AM PST

Hi James. There are 30 or 40 people with the names "James Fant" in the genealogy book...and no Kelly or Mandy that I can find. Perhaps you know your grandparents' names? Or any birthdates? Or middle names?

Fanster
Blacks with the surname Fant
Date: Dec 20, 2013 6:08:35 AM PST
Author: Fanster

Iam very interseted in knowing if my family were slaves. If so, the slave owner & where did they orginate from. Were they taken from Africa? if so, what part. I can only go back to my grandparents, Tom Fant,Sr. born March 8th, 1902 & his wife Carrie(Woodson)Fant,born June 10th, 1904. Any information tracing this history is very helpful.

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Forum Tags

There are no tags at this time.